Way of the Master

Jesus is considered by scholars such as Weber ...

Image via Wikipedia

Method Summary

The Way of the Master (WOTM) is a method created by Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort. The method name is also the name of their ministry. It’s based on what Jesus actually did in regards to evangelism. The WOTM uses the Law for its second purpose—as a mirror to show how much we really need a Savior just as Jesus did (for example, with the woman at the well in John 4).

The method uses four letters to represent the four questions or stepping-stones: WDJD, which stand for “What Did Jesus Do?”

The four questions are as follows:

W - Would you consider yourself to be a good person?
D – Do you think you have kept the Ten Commandments?
J – On the Day of Judgment, if God judges you by the Ten Commandments, will you be innocent or guilty?
D – Destiny, will you go to heaven or hell?

Method Advantages

One of the advantages of Way of the Master method is it prepares people for hearing the Gospel by showing them their need for salvation since they are wholly unable to save themselves; after they understand that, you can present them with the Gospel—perhaps with the Romans Road method. In today’s society, people like to say they’re pretty much good because they don’t do many bad things. WOTM does a good job at presenting exactly what Jesus taught on this subject: that we are already condemned because of our sinful state and we are not inherently good (John 3:17) and only God is good (Luke 18:19). This method includes some good questions for starting discussion on this subject. Its outline allows for discussion and doesn’t need to be presented in a preaching manner but in a caring questioning manner.

Method Disadvantages

One downside or disadvantage to this method is it doesn’t specifically talk much about what the Gospel actually is. It talks more about the Law and why you need salvation but not how to receive it. In essence, it leads people up to the point where they need to hear the Gospel. This is a time where knowing the Romans Road would be helpful or some other method to share the Gospel clearly.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Tags: , , ,

10 Responses to “Way of the Master”

1. Joseph Lee June 17, 2011 at 10:02 am #

Hi, I think you may have misunderstood the Way of the Master. Certainly it uses the Law extensively first, but it also goes on to Jesus, the Cross and the way of salvation through repentance and faith in Jesus Christ. I hope you don't mind me saying that I don't think your paragraph under the heading "Method disadvantages" reflects WOTM accurately. If you are unsure, please read Ray Comfort's book of the same name, or check out his videos etc. God bless.

• Joshua Kaufmann June 17, 2011 at 11:09 am #

Thank you for your comment, Joseph! Thank you for pointing this out to me. I have not yet read that book, but I hope to eventually. This post was originally part of an assignment for a class I took, and I didn't have much time to research outside the sources they gave us during the class. Part of the assignment was to find possible advantages and disadvantages for each method. Looking back, I think I agree that I could update this paragraph. Do you know of any quick resources I could look up in order to update this paragraph (other than the book of course…I don't have time to read it right now)? I do want my blog to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks again for your input, and I hope you continue to check out my blog!

• Joseph Lee June 17, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

Hi Joshua

Amazed how quickly you replied! And thanks for being so gracious in your response.

If you go to http://www.livingwaters.com and click the resources tab, there should be some material there which you could use.

God bless

Joseph

• Joshua Kaufmann June 17, 2011 at 7:45 pm #

You're welcome :)

I always try to make quick replies whenever I can, and I always love receiving constructive input on my posts, so thank you for that Joseph!

When I went to that site, it definitely seemed to be a great Christianity and Evangelism resource, but I couldn't find anything about WOTM specifically. I'll check again though just in case.

Do you have any specific ideas for what I should add or change in the paragraph?

Also, please check out my other posts and let me know what you think! Please subscribe on the top left of my site if you'd like to receive updates for my blog.

God bless,

Josh

• A Soldier for Jesus August 27, 2011 at 6:00 pm #

Thought I would chime in, since everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Having read WoTM book, taken the WoTM "School of Biblical Evangelism" courses online and watched several of the videos (one of the few good things on TBN, plus the videos are available online in various places), I want to say that it is easy to get an incomplete impression of the method. Part of the problem is the way it presents itself, and people need more information than just the basics. They work, but more information is available.

• joshuakaufmann August 28, 2011 at 12:22 pm #

I think I know what you're talking about. This overview of the methods of evangelism was originally written for one of my classes. I used as many resources as possible to make it accurate, but I have not been able to read the book yet. Did you read my summary on all the methods? Do you have any suggestions for updating this post to be more accurate? Thanks for checking out my blog!

• Don Foster December 6, 2011 at 10:09 am #

Hey guys, the WOTM does lay out the gospel presentation really well and clearly too! They focus so much on the law at first using their WDJD stepping stones because many people don't get past this part. BUT if they do, Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron also developed a second "acrostic" "steppingstone" approach to presenting the gospel in their WOTM evangelism approach. Their gospel presentation acrostic is CRAFT. The first "C" is actually two "C's". These questions would immediately follow the WDJD procession. Concern–does that concern you? Cross–Jesus suffered for our sins, died on and rose from the dead. Repentance–Confess and Forsake all sin. And. Faith–more than belief, it's trust in Jesus for Salvation. Truth–Point to the truth of the bible and encourage them to get right with God today. They into great detail on this acrostic as well in their program and training guides. Hopefully that helps! (Funny thing is, I am actually doing a similar assignment now for one of my classes! Liberty University by chance? Evangelism 101?)

• joshuakaufmann November 29, 1999 at 7:00 pm #

You bring up some interesting points, and I definitely would like to study this method a bit more. That\’s actually pretty awesome that\’ you\’re at LUO! Evangelism 101 is precisely what I original wrote this series for! I thought there was some good things I learned through the class that I wanted to share with people. Hopefully, when I have time, I can study the WOTM method and rewrite this series. Thanks for checking out my blog and commenting!

2. BrittanyNicole December 13, 2011 at 10:16 pm #

I'm writing this same essay right now, and you guys have been an awesome help! Thanks for all of your insightful input!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks